4.25.2024

Top 10 Times The Dog Died

Supposedly tests audiences determined a long time ago that you can't kill the dog; regardless of the quality of the film, simulated animal cruelty will get you a bad grade. And yet, as I sit here, every canine I can think of bit the dust; when I thought of this topic I immediately came up with like 30 instances, to the point I had to make a master list that required critical thinking so that I could begin whittling down. I guess that makes the point that despite how well we remember these movies, we never forget when the dog dies. That sorta makes them iconic in a way; I don't know about you, but when they make a point to let us know that the dog lives it feels like a bit of a pussy move. And pussy has no place on this list. 

- Paul


The Thing

This movie tops a lotta lists in a lotta categories, but it's pretty indisputable under this heading. Even though it's the least realistic in terms of context, it's so graphic and the real dogs are such good actors that it feels the most realistic. 


The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Part One served up cows and goats and it unnerved us greatly. Leave it to Steven to make us watch the family pet get eaten whole by a T Rex. (Even Pippet's death was off camera.) It's the only cool part of this movie. 


No Country For Old Men

One of the most suspenseful moments in a film made up entirely of suspenseful moments. Between this and American Gangster Josh Brolin was officially Dog Killer '07


Ginger Snaps

A truly effective opening for a Horror Movie and I'm sure it read beautifully on the page, but it's one of the more upsetting entries here mostly for the genuine reaction the kid has to this screaming actress. 


I Am Legend

I don't remember too much about this movie, but I do remember this moment; not so much for the emotional impact but for Will's strong performance and the brilliant approach of leaving the camera on him to capture that performance. 


A Fish Called Wanda

When once isn't enough you can make it an ongoing gag throughout an entire film. When I was little it took a lotta courage and understanding to accept that this was meant to be funny.


To Kill a Mockingbird

Another one from when I was very young and had to understand that theriocide could actually sometimes be necessary(?). In any event, it's amazing the way movies can shape and inform our values early on - usually for the better. 


Signs

What's more shocking: a child forced to kill their own pet, or our own imagination of what the aliens did to the other one. For the first time, M. Night lets the audience decide something on their own. 


Manos: The Hands of Fate

To the best of my knowledge, Peppy is the only character that gets killed in this movie, proving that Hal Warren truly understood the effective tropes of Horror Cinema. 


Turner and Hooch

The Old Yeller of my generation (discounting the equine expiration of Neverending Story) and a true shock at the time for the partner to die in a Buddy Cop Picture. Everyone sighted Big as Tom's big flex of range, but this one felt like a greater balance of funny and sad to me. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails