10.23.2021

Soolaimon


What do you think happens when we die? Speaking for myself? I used to think I knew. And knowing was power. I believed for a long time that inside of our bodies was a tiny glow. This spark absorbed all of your energy, which is mostly what you are made of, and then when your meat suit dies, that essence just drifted away. Invisible to the naked eye, but plainly seen to second sighters, and the highly gifted, this little speck of light contained all of your emotion, which is what you are constantly imprinting. Why else would we be sentient and be made to feel? Weirdos emit more DMT than other ordinary people from their pineal glands. At least this is an idea that is being examined and hypothesized... Either way, those people saw things. They sensed them. Perhaps it was an aura, or they could see your dreams while you were having them. Perhaps they could read into your whole future. People throughout history have claimed it all. There must be a very large scale of which to measure peoples rare X-Men gene, because my ability was very small. I would get a picture inside of my head and it would be completely out of context. Sometimes it would line right up with something going on at that very moment, but I wasn't sure why. I called it "getting one of my feelings." You could say that this is happenstance, serendipity, or even lunacy. But after so many times of it happening, and in the presence of others to witness it, something weird was definitely going on. I would use this ability, when the opportunity presented itself, to help myself along the way. A guide so to speak. It was much stronger when I was little. It showed me the path of my life on several occasions, and I still have snippets of that remaining. It lead to me to Paul, a figure that haunted my sleeping life since toddlerhood, and that is the greatest Happy Ending ever. 

But my mysterious talent has left me. I don't feel that inner warmth. I don't know if I'm being punished by an unknown force or if something inside of me just died. I feel like I lost an appendage. It's something I've become so comfortable with even though it's so bizarre. Maybe it was never real in the first place and I really am just a fucking nut. And that means that I have no fucking clue what happens when I stop forever. No more power. That's frightening. I'm tortured by it. So much so that I can hardly think of anything else. And that shit is fucking depressing. But I've been saying it all along: Art is therapy. It's there for the psychoanalysis impervious. To those of us that need something a little different to fix things. And we all need that. Not one of you can pretend that you don't. And then, if you're lucky, the universe throws you a crazy curveball, and turns out to be exactly what you needed. 

It's really kind of funny because I really used to hate Mike Flanagan. I watched his series, The Haunting of Hill House, at high praise and recommendation from my only other in-person friend. I love her dearly, but her taste is not something I tend to agree with. And this extends beyond cinema. And it was shit, just as I was expecting it to be. I tend to always notice editing first, which really makes sense if you think about it. And it was cut so amateurishly that I felt like I was watching a student film. I get it. Having your film/show/limited series or whatever the fuck it is you're creating, go straight to Netflix, immediately puts a cap on your budget. And if you're not making a talkie, like Noah Baumbach, then you're gonna have to spread that money around pretty thin, to get the creepy feel that you want. But I promise you, only leaving 8 bucks for your editor, is not the way to save cash, and make a great movie. And again with the blue filter. Just ew. No one good likes it. I mean what I say. Unless you're appealing only to SAHMs, and Karens, that have zero taste in art, and don't understand the film process, then don't go for the straight-to-Walmart horror DVD.

He's also a total hack. Zero talent for writing, and as I've stated previously, a one-trick pony with direction. Take a look at Doctor Sleep. Aside from the erotic Rebecca Ferguson, there is nothing worth remembering here. Pales in comparison against its predecessor, and left me confused, annoyed at my lost time, and bored as fuck. Doctor Sleep should have penetrated your soul, and I was not gonna settle for anything less. He fucked up, delivering a D-, when the material called for an A+++. And who cares if Stephen King gave it a pass. We all know that the most important things to him, when his books are optioned, are loyalty to the story. Art and craft are always 99th on his list. 


I know I've seen his Ouija movie, and I caught most of Gerald's Game. They were alright. I wouldn't acquire the physical media, and rewatch them around Halloween, but they were fine. In any case, Mike Flanagan was on my radar. Working film, and making shlock in a genre that I hold near and dear, and manipulating it in a way that is ugly and unfortunate. And people were starting to look up to him. Idolize him even. Even starting to steal his moves. The same ones that made me want to throw up, and not because they were awesome and gory. Fuck this asshole.

Wednesday nights are rough. Paul works late, and Elvis goes to bed pretty early, so I'm left with my thoughts or to put something on. Around now my wandering mind is pretty cringe worthy, and 95% of what we own are things we've seen. And while it's all stuff I love, my mind will still start to drift. So I tend to use these nights to watch something new. It forces me to immerse myself and stop from worrying. It works. And freshly coming off a rewatch of Marianne, one of the greatest horror series of all time, I looked for another scary show to binge until Halloween. 

This is tricky because I don't want to watch anything that Paul would be bummed that I started without him, but it also has to be unwatched. My choices were pretty limited under this criteria. Netflix's flavor of the minute was Midnight Mass, which had shitty art, and was directed by my less-than-favorite man. I had been wanting to do a write up for Bennett Media for the holiday, and encapsulating my angry feelings about this filmmaker would be a great opportunity to do that. So I voted for "project." 


Well, like I said, it's funny. I'm three minutes in, and it looks good, sounds amazing, and it's not blue. I don't know this character yet, but really want to. I binged. I watched as much of it as I possibly can at any given time, even if that meant it was only for 5 minutes in the morning before work. I told everyone I knew to seek it out. I knew how that sounded to the respected, yet sometimes arrogant, film community to which I belonged. It became an obsession.

Each tale within the story is intricately played out. It has excellent flow with teleplay, and the actors portray the dialogue with prestige. I do not say this hastily. It cuts pretty deeply. Maybe I'm just a big open wound, but I was very emotional during the entire viewing experience. It touched a nerve. Played right into my fears, and drove them right out of their quiet hiding place, and right into the forefront of my mind. I didn't strongly believe in everything Flanagan was saying with his script, but his characters passion, that drive to become better, and seek a higher knowledge? I felt that. Interestingly enough, Mr. Flanagan is recently 3 years sober. And the best art tends to come out of your biggest life changes. I feel that too. 


I still don't have that little fire inside of me, but I'm ok. I'm making choices and changing my life without a psychic ability. It's a brave new world. An ordinary one where I just have to follow my heart and hold the hands of the ones I love. Making mistakes is ok, and if I screw up, well, they'll forgive me. Because I tried. And as for when I die? I'm just gonna try not to think about that so much and watch more good shit, like Midnight Mass. End session.

- Babes

1 comment:

Jacob Spickelmire said...

very strong disagreements about Flanagan's screenwriting abilities, but yeah I have to concede that he probably shouldn't've directed most of his scripts. hopefully Mass marks a permanent end to the blue/green filter.

Related Posts with Thumbnails