10.06.2023

Are You Afraid of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones?


What's more horrific: receiving your wife's severed head in the mail, or listening to The Offspring? The 90s asked the tough questions and gave us the awful truth - and the awful music. Typically around this time of year, my home, my head, and my car is filled with the ominous and gorgeous sounds of Nico Fidenco, Fabio Frizzi, and John Carpenter. Intellectually these are the sounds of the 70s and 80s, but spiritually they're the sounds of Halloween - my Halloween. But I've embarked on great change to make this Halloween different: consciously memorable but still fun. And so more than the movies, I'm aiming to shift the music playlist, because that's where the mood comes from, and that mood - that 90s mood - is gonna best be experienced not through movie score but through pop songs. And with that, I'm able to assemble some consistent favorites but mostly explore the stuff I otherwise wouldn't have sought out. I can't promise I'll stick to this list exclusively, but they'll definitely be integrated into my usual lineup. Here's a short starter pack. 

- Paul


"Hey Bulldog" by Toad the Wet Sprocket
(featured in I Know What You Did Last Summer)


"Youth of America" by Birdbrain 
(featured in Scream)


"Love Song For a Vampire" by Annie Lennox
(featured in Bram Stoker's Dracula)


"Go to Hell" by KMFDM
(featured in Hideaway)


"Treat 'em Right" by Chubb Rock
(featured in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare)


"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson
(featured in House on Haunted Hill)


"Rigors" by Digginlilies
(featured in The Blair Witch Project)


"Under the Water" by Jewel
(featured in The Craft)


"(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by The Mutton Birds
(featured in The Frighteners)


"Welcome to This World" by Primus
(featured in Brainscan)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails