10.18.2021

7Roulette - THE BROOD

I've been in and out of therapy most of my adult life because I'm upset about a lot of different things. Sometimes when I have severe panic, I get hives. And ever since seeing this film, I can't help but be weary of my tension induced sores. Cronenberg's passion for body horror hits my nerves in all the right places and sets my teeth on edge. He delivers food for my nightmares. A

- Babes


Evil isn't born, it's made - literally! But is it really "evil" or just Samantha Eggar being flamboyantly cranky? Yet another entry in Cronenberg's Mind Over Matter (or is it the other way around?) theme, and I say one of the better ones - mostly for how straightforward it is. For me, David's abstractions go over like undercooked chicken, but when he links it up to some accessible coherence, I give him a pass. I've seen this a few times and I really recognized the rhythm with this viewing: there are three major set pieces, a climax, and a lotta padding. I don't mean "character development" or "tension" - I mean padding. But in the end, like Scanners, character actor Robert A. Silverman has the best singular scene in the movie. B

- Paul

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails